Tuesday, July 23, 2019

I should've



That evening
when you opened a ladder
so I could climb it
and pick the remaining plums
from your tree
in the dusk

when we watered your garden
together
after you got my sandals
totally soaked
and then I pointed the hose
at your shorts
in revenge

when you picked
Chinese lanterns
for me
and I took them in my hand
to taste them politely

and when you
caressed my arm
while I lay
against your chest
as I confessed
the obvious,
oblivious of the game
we played...

I should've fallen
to the ground
so you would pick me up
and lay me to rest
on that hammock
of yours

I should've stayed.

I should've
let you soak
the whole of me

I should've
eaten the fruit
off your hand
and licked your fingers
in the end

I should've
been bold
and wild
and free

I should've
had you
and let you
have me.





No comments: